Amazon Snowball is an AWS service that utilizes physical storage devices to import large amounts of data (>10TB) into Amazon S3 and export data from Amazon S3 to onsite data storage locations.
The Snowball devices are physically rugged devices that are protected by the AWS KMS.
- There are two models available for Amazon Snowball – 50TB (US regions only) and 80TB models.
- Data is protected at rest and in physical transit through enforced encryption.
- Jobs are managed through the AWS Snowball Management Console and the job management API.
- The Snowball is its own shipping container.
- Regional shipping carriers transport Snowballs between Amazon S3 and the onsite data storage location.
Reference: Amazon Snowball